Friday, February 3, 2012

Remember man (and horse) that thou art dust and unto dust thou shalt return.

Well . . . . . it is inevitable for us all.

We are all going to die.

When you own animals, you know they will die, too.

Here is Goldie - alive and well!
Luke and Goldie at a horse show.
Here is Goldie on her last big trip:  Giving rides at St. Francis de Sales Summer at the Oratory.
Sunday night at 9:00 pm, I returned home to hear that she was down and probably not going to make it through the night.  She was a good horse and had taught many to ride including a couple of mine.  She was over 33 years old (probably closer to 35).  In human years, that would make her a little over 100 years old.

Monday morning, I did the only thing a good mother would do:  send her children to see if she had died.  I think they are a bit tougher than I am.  No, she was still down but eating hay.  Not good. In vain, we tried to get her up.

Then came the call to the vet.

Then came the vet.  

There was no hope and we all knew it.  These are decisions my parents used to make for me.  My turn.  

After Goldie passed away, only a boy would ask, "Can I keep one of her teeth?"  

No, it was NOT John who asked.

My reply, "No, I don't think we will or should keep any souvenirs of her."  Thank you very much!!!!!

Then came the very interesting "backhoe" burial the next morning.

I couldn't help but tease my children that too bad I hadn't kicked the bucket too last night.  
They could have erected a sign which read,
"HERE LIES ONE HAG AND ONE NAG".


The next day we receive this card from the vet who came out.


The next day we receive this from the vet who came out. 


Cheers Goldie!!!!  You were a really sweet horse!!!!

I'll drink to that!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your loss! I have buried three dogs in my day... It was never easy.

    JJR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you. As we all know things like this are going to happen. I just have never had to do anything like this before. I am really glad it didn't happen while she was at the Oratory! That would have been bad!

    ReplyDelete