Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My trip plans and bathrobe fell apart.

 No, those two things didn't happen at the exact same time. 
The combination of these two events and a few others had me a bit down.

I was supposed to be heading north to Chicago tonight but it didn't work out.


I wanted to feel like this yeller feller but alas I was feeling pretty much like a sea of those blue folks.

This story is more about my dear bathrobe than my trip cancellation though.

All of you mothers will be able to relate to it, I know.

I have had the perfect robe for almost 16 years now.
The fit is perfect.  The fabric is perfect.
However after that long in service, it is tired and literally falling apart.  
I have repaired it countless times.  The fabric is done.  

The right arm pretty much fell off this week.

Men, I know you are secretly thinking, "Just go get yourself another robe."
Ladies, you understand.  YOU JUST CAN'T GO GET ANOTHER ROBE!!!

Bathrobes are like a super hero outfit for a mother.

We can get up and do anything with our bathrobe.
We could go to the grocery store in it if called upon to do so.

I have known for years that it was on its last leg.
For at least the last 5 years, I have been scouring the internet and every Goodwill/resale store around to find one, just like it.

All of the other bathrobes are fatally flawed:
Made with microfiber - Hello!  I am not a couch!
Gigantic EVERYWHERE! - If I wanted to wear a comforter that is what I would wear!
Polyester - I do not want to spontaneously combust.
Too short - Walking around at 2:30am with FREEZING ankles makes me cranky.
The arms are 10 feet long - I AM A MOTHER NOT STRETCH ARM STRONG!

I WANT THE SAME THING!!!!!!!

Not to be found anywhere.

Those that live around me know of my plight.
It has even developed into a slight joke (not for me!  This is serious.)
I would tease them though saying, "When I find this robe, it will be the EXACT same robe.  Only this time, it will be pink.  Not some whimpy pink, hot pink."

They would laugh.  They know I believe most things should be pink and the odds of me finding this hot pink robe is like a needle in a haystack.

I had secretly decided that without my robe, I would just have to sleep in my regular clothes so that I could be ready for anything again.

I wore it for the last time Monday.

Tuesday was sad.  No robe.  No trip.

So, I ran some errands and decided to stop at a couple of resale stores to find some short sleeve shirts for my boys. 


BINGO!

Can you believe it?

I brought it home.

Told everyone to close their eyes.  I had a surprise.

We all had a BIG laugh.  

Look out world!!!
I am ready for anything again because now I DO have the PERFECT robe!
IT'S PINK!!!!

God is good and answers all our prayers in His time not ours.
He answers them in the best ways.


I am.  Very grateful.

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Was it the same brand as your other one? What a fun story! I have been on the lookout for a "summer robe" to replace an awesome one that I wore to shreds a few years ago, but haven't found it yet. You inspire me to not give up. In the meantime, I wear my winter robe on summer mornings and open all the windows. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Ha! That is me! It was not the exact brand but must have been the same pattern! It will appear one day when you least expect it! And when it does, I hope it is your favorite color too!

    ReplyDelete