Thursday, July 19, 2012

Slower than a speeding lizard

I miss being little.

I would love to be little for a week in the summer time with my children.

I loved to find bugs, animals, cool rocks, and all sorts of strange treasures (much to my mother's dismay at times I am sure).

I would scour the ground looking for my next discovery.

God has a way of correcting this folly.  It is called height.  After slamming into several tree branches and various other objects, I decided that I should pay attention to things at my new eye level.

I miss it.

We all know that returning completely to "Toy Land" is impossible but through our children's adventures we can relive the excitement of childhood wonder and discovery.

A couple of weeks ago, I once again hear a frantic and ecstatic voice from a boy running my way.

MOM!  MOM!  MOM!  You have to come quick!!  I have just discovered a GIGANTIC lizard!

I must admit when I listen to this young boy many times I only key in on certain words like:  bleeding, fire, broken, flooding, shot, or dying.

Nope, none of those words so I answered:

Okay sweetie, when you catch that giant lizard I want to see it.

No, Mom!  You don't understand!  It looks like a kimono dragon but not quite that big but REAL big!  I need help.  He is super fast and probably poisonous, too!

Well, I am sorry to say that I was in the middle of 5 things and hunting a giant lizard was not on the list of things to do that day.  I also did not want my whole porch turned upside-down for this latest discovery.  I have seen my share of captured lizards and sadly several of them had given up their tails in vain.  I didn't want to be part of this again.

The only way to catch a super fast lizard is to sit real still and wait for it.  But you must sit very quietly and be very patient.

HA!!!!!  HAAAAA!!!!! HAAA!!  Most of you know my youngest hootiekin.  The thought of him sitting patiently for most things makes me laugh.  A mother can still try right.  I went about my job.

Less than 5 minutes later . . . . . . . . .


MOM!  MOM!  MOM!  You have to come quick!!  I have just captured the GIGANTIC lizard!

I sigh.  Poor lizard, but the excitement from my son was so cute.

YOU MUUUUUUUUUUUUST COME SEE THIS LIZARD!

Arms flaying as he explains . . . . . 


This is a lizard like no other!  Giant and poisonous!  YOU simply MUST see this lizard and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!

Okay.  I will check out this latest prisoner.


WOW WEE!  That is a find!

Collared Lizard (Crotaphytus collaris)

According to the Dept of Conservation, this species of lizard has not been seen in this county since 1931!  And yes, it was gigantic and the jumpiest, fastest lizard EVER!

How did you catch this guy?

Just like you told me.  I sat real still and waited AND THEN I GRABBED HIM!

AMAZING!!!!

There is hope.

I can't believe you sat that quietly but see patience is a virtue and God wants you to see that speed is not always the best.  Sometimes we all have to sit and wait patiently for what we want.

You can enjoy your new friend for a bit and then he has to go back to his own life.

*** SIGH ***

Good things come to those who wait!


He was right you do look a like a kimono dragon ready to spew deadly saliva . . . . . . in the eyes of a young and fearless explorer!


Good bye interesting lizard!

No comments:

Post a Comment