Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When is it considered hoarding?

I need another book like 
I need another hole in my head!!!!

I know I am not alone in my book collecting.
I am writing about this for two reasons.
1.  I know there are other book hoarders out there and I don't want you to feel all alone.
2.  I want to say I admire you people who can refrain from owning your own library especially if you have no available shelf space left.

I used to think that my parents had cornered the market on all new and used books.
Not just any old book either.
Good Catholic books.

(Humor me here.  I am trying to justify my problem!)

I knew I had surpassed them when my dad dropped me off at a small "junk" store to look at the books.

I came out with 49 more!

Now let me explain my reasoning.

These were not just any old books.

First, they had been in a seminary library.
Second, they were very old and good Catholic books.
Third, my children may use them and they may not be able to find them again.
Fourth, THEY WERE ONLY $1 A PIECE!!!!
Really, I couldn't let them just sit in that store, could I?

How, I ask you, could I possibly pass them up?

So, I admit it.  I bought them.  They do not have a designated shelf yet (but I am working on that) and have brought them home.

It was not in vain though because the fifth and final reason that I procured them is in hopes that others could enjoy them as well.



I offer to you my good readers the opportunity to borrow some of my grand books.

Now, I guess that I need some advice.
Just where should I put that other hole in my head because I know if the opportunity presents itself again, I will bring home more books.


2 comments:

  1. I just unloaded three large bags of books to the Girl Scouts (who are having a yard sale soon) and have decided that most literature our family needs we can acquire by borrowing from someone else. Someone like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. G., I am so proud of you as I know of your grand love of reading!!!! Hey, I have a book for you. It is on the mysteries of the most holy rosary. ;)

    Really though, since you must keep your rosary (instead of donating it to Gabon like you wanted to do), I have another job for us. I have a whole bag of rosary beads, etc for making rosaries. How about meeting up occasionally and making them up and then you can send rosaries to my favorite mission: Gabon, Africa.

    ReplyDelete