Thursday, September 29, 2011

Home, Sweet Home! The Institute of Christ the King

St.Gianna's Oratory
Welcome to St. Gianna's Oratory (or locally known as Holy Family)
Sacred Heart statue in the courtyard

St. Teresa
What could make 5 little hootiekins super happy?
None other that the familiar face of the most awesome Abbe in the universe!
Sacred Heart altar
Mary's side altar
Side altar of St. Gianna
All of the local people know it as Holy Family and is one of Tucson's historic landmarks so when I said we were going to St. Gianna's Oratory everyone was quite confused.  Amazingly the family that I am staying with had grown up going to Holy Family.   Holy Family Parish is Tucson's oldest parish.  Its first pastor Fr. Lucas of St. Joseph O.C.D. and his associate Fr. Eduardo of the Child Jesus O.C.D. were beatified by Pope Benedict on October 28, the Feast of Christ the King, in 2007.  On August 6, 2010, Bishop Kicanas entrusted the parish to the Institute.

It was particularly refreshing to attend Sunday mass again at an Institute church and also be blessed to be able to attend daily mass there also. All through Sunday mass, I was interrupted by a small whisper asking, "Where is Abbe Alex?  I thought he was going to be here?"  Yes, it even made me a bit homesick and yes, I miss those blue pom poms and cassocks.

Please pray for this fledgling parish and also their new Sacred Heart Society as their first meeting is this Friday morning.

St. Gianna, pray us!
Bl. Lucas, pray for us!
Bl. Eduardo, pray for us!
St. Michael the Archangel pray for us! (as I post this on his feast day)

2 comments:

  1. Man! I am really starting to wish that I had stowed away in your truck... The photos and travelogue are awesome.

    God speed!
    JJR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Southwest always has cheap flights! We can pick you up somewhere. I am afraid there wouldn't have been room in the "trunk". I have unloaded a ton of stuff though and I am sure now you would fit now. Really, I would like you as navigator. I am sure you can read a map.

    It is good to hear from someone we know. Okay, I admit it, I miss home just a tiny bit.!

    ReplyDelete