Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Please stand by while we are experiencing slight technical difficulities and by last night extreme exhaustion.

Hello fellow follower!

I must wholeheartedly apologize for the delay in posts.  We are having slight problems connecting to the internet which can make updating this difficult you know!  So, while we try to resolve our problems I will at least fill you in a bit and if I can upload a couple of pictures.

As I type this morning, I am blessed to be looking a magnificent site:  western scenery reflected off the lake as the sun rises over the horizon.  Of the places we have gone so far, neither myself nor my little "hootiekins" (name thanks to someone very dear now in the land of cheese) can choose our favorite spot.  They are all so diverse and unique.

Since, I do not have much time before we head out again on a new and I believe what might just end up being one of the best of the trip (hopefully), I will have to pick something memorable and funny to share with you.

The wild life here is so diverse and different than at home.  The Abert's squirrel is black with tufts on their ears.  Luke and Claire found a porcupine.  Dead, I might add but a PORCUPINE!  The birds are all different.  We saw what must have been a type of raven that were as big as a vulture.  Mule deer galore.  There must have been 6 or 7 HUGE buck standing together that we saw yesterday.  A cry of triumph erupted when we finally saw a live elk, impressive.  There were wild horses spotted as well.

With all of these creatures come some sort of warning sign on the road for drivers.  I can tell you it is a bit unnerving driving along and encountering an elk crossing sign informing me that there is a possibility that one might just decide to jump in front of the car.  I know what hitting a little deer looks like so I KNOW hitting an elk is not on my list of things to do.  The deer crossing signs are everywhere also.  These deer look like white tailed deer on steroids and HGH.  Gigantic.

Last night, we were driving (late and dark) and encounter a whole new sign:  wild horse crossing!  Okay, I don't think I want to know what it is like to hit one of those either.  Driving went something like this:  Elk crossing, deer crossing, deer crossing, deer crossing, wild horse crossing, deer crossing, wild horse crossing on and on. 

I had everyone in the car looking for glowing eyes on the side of the road and occasional coyote would dart out just to keep things lively.  Worst of all there are MILLIONS of the cutes kangaroo and desert mice darting into the road.  At first you try not to run any of them over but you'd be swerving all over the road.  They would start to run out and turn back only to dart back in front of you.  Try to image thousands of tiny squirrels running frantically around and on the road.  That is close to what it was like. The road was littered with ones that ever made it to the other side.  I am glad I will never know how many I got.  Those kangaroo mice are so cute, too.  They jump just like a tiny kangaroo as they try to make it across.  There should have been a sign for them that read:  Don't even try to do the humane thing and try to avoid hitting the mice.  They want to DIE.  Please help them out.

I felt like I was in a bad video game looking for attacking animals and while trying to avoid other animals scanning the dark wilderness at ground level. 

Then  . . . . . . .attacking with an aerial assault in the darkness came a huge flying creature!!!!!!  Splat!!!!

I never would have believed it!  Where was the sign warning me about those flying things ?!?  I would have posted someone on aerial combat watch! 

INCOMING at 11:00!!!!  Kamikaze coming in fast!  Hard right!

I don't know exactly what it was.  Key word there "was".   I know it didn't make it.

They can never go for the passanger side either.  Straight for the driver.  AHHHHHHH!

So, I have decided to help them out and save these states some money.  A uni-sign that will read something like:  ALL ANIMALS HERE WANT TO DIE!  YOU WILL HIT AND KILL SOMETHING.  FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL SAFETY TRY TO MAKE IT SOMETHING SMALL.

Feel free to add your own ideas for signs.  We will then submit them for approval.

I need to go see if I must clean my car off before I head out.  I also need to find out just what kind of "bird brain" would be flying around at night without headlights or at least glowing eyes so I can plan my defense.


BEWARE! 

See, they were not joking! 
I am sure I didn't hit this!  Maybe a flying cousin.

5 comments:

  1. I love the Big Foot Xing sign!!
    Brings to mind a question though.... assuming they actually exist,(which I don't believe) I'm curious to know how many vehicles have managed to strike one, and if they did, wouldn't the bodies be found somewhere along the road just like deer and other roadkill? Anyone ever hear of insurance companies paying claims for damage done to cars due to Big Foot collisions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious post! My children and I laughed heartily while reading it. I would LOVE to use your story tomorrow in class (with your permission, of course). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a long day at co-op without Claire *insert sad face*, the big foot crossing sign made me giggle a bit. Actually, the whole post made me totally laugh :) I now award you cool points. You're thrilled, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't seen the "Donkey's have the right away!"..Honestly, it's a real sign... guess you haven't made it to western Arizona yet. Sound's like you're having fun...Drive safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For being a passenger for a while I was the one to fall asleep (dose off) but the UFA that hit the windshield woke me up for good. As for the mice, well, they did not make it. :( I really like mice... the ones that don't eat all of the household items. POOR LITTLE MICE :( !!!!

    ReplyDelete