Monday, September 26, 2011

Something grand today! Spectacular! - Day 5


 After the grueling drive the night before into Page, Arizona, this is what we woke up to in the morning.  There are a TON of hotels there and unbelievably they were all completely booked.  The last place was way out of the way at Lake Powell Resort (pretty ritzy too).  That kind lady also gave me a crazy deal on my room or I NEVER would have ended up there.

For those who do not know the story about Lake Powell, here it is.  Glenn Canyon built and Glenn Canyon flooded.  Query on pictures of Lake Powell and Glenn Canyon.  It is gorgeous.  Many still say the canyon was one of the most beautiful before it was flooded.

Glenn Canyon Dam

Glenn Canyon Bridge


While we were at Mesa Verde, we met a couple that had just come from the way we were going.  They said we had to stop at Jacob Lake and get some cookies because they were the BEST.  That couple had been to every state and national park in the country.  So, we took their advice!  And of course we love cookies, too.
They truly were some of the best cookies we have ever eaten.  Cloud in a Cookie, Lemon Zucchini, Raspberry Dark Chocolate Yummy just to name a few and only one buck a piece!!!!



Jacob Lake is a little stop on the road going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  Folks if you have never been to the Grand Canyon, it is a MUST DO!!!!  The North Rim in not as busy as the South Rim and every bit as beautiful.   I feel it is easier to hike around and enjoy it in a much quieter setting.  The view are unlike anything you would see anywhere else on earth.  While we were there, we were fortunate enough to see one of the California Condors soaring around the lodge and canyon.  We were told it was rather unusual to see them at all.  We had a picnic (though we weren't really hungry as we had eaten too many cookies before) and the weather cooperated completely.





























Junior Rangers at a presentation about California Condors.

John and Peter playing outside the lodge.

Inside the lodge
After a brief shower, this rainbow was at the lodge.

Oh, yeah, I need more sugar while I am standing at the top of the canyon!
 I could post a million pictures but never, ever be able to do it justice at all.


Junior Rangers being sworn it at the Grand Canyon.


This was our parting shot of the canyon.  I admit it.  I cried when I left.

3 comments:

  1. YES, the Grand Canyon was BEAUTIFUL!!! And yes Mom DID cry!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother, Trip Dover, worked at the North Rim for several years and insisted it was by far more beautiful than the South Rim, although he didn't show me any pics to back up his words. I can see by your photos that he was right!
    I have a funny story about the Grand Canyon, that goes very nicely with the story about the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ben, are you related to Skip Dover too?

    Your brother, Trip, was right. You should share your funny story about the bear. I am sure all my readers would find it exciting too!

    What was your mother's maiden name?

    ReplyDelete