Sunday, October 9, 2011

BEACH BONFIRE! and dolphin sighting!

BONFIRE!!!!!!!
When I first warned the Vandewalle family that we might actually make it to California to visit them, they were certainly gracious in making us feel more than welcome to visit their home.  The first suggestion that they had was while we were visiting we would have a bonfire out on the beach.  Naturally, the thought of such an exciting outing was thrilling.  So, in the evening after playing at the tide pools, off to Balboa Beach we went.

Before I continue any further with this story, let me first give my highest praise to Jere and Robyn.  Not only did they open their home up for 6 additional people but taking us all to the beach twice (in there own giant van) and once with fire and food involved is not small undertaking.  I am eternally grateful because you can only imagine what kind of condition my own car is in at this point and I can only dream of what sort of a smelly, disgusting mess it would be now had we added 500 pounds of sand tracked into it also.  Unfortunately, due to the rain and lack of additional time, they too were left with it in their own vehicle.  So, I am sorry dear Vandewalle family that our fun has left you with another job to do in your already busy days.  But the memories that you have shared with us will last much longer.  Your efforts to make our adventures as exciting as we had hoped have not been in vain.  The last tidbit to add here is that this also interrupted their home schooling schedule.   Thank you so much for everything!

 Okay, on with the story.

Nothing would have kept these children out of the water
and nothing could have gotten me into the water!
 
You can't tell that everyone was anticipating that fire about as much as
we did the night we camped in Colorado can you?

I am not sure what has happened here but it appears that people lost their heads
 and were eating entirely too much!

Two essentials of the night:  FIRE and FOOD

Proof that they really were enjoying ALL of the yummy
fire roasted treats.


NO bonfire is complete without the beloved S'mores!!!!!!!
Even better, I don't believe anyone added sand to theirs either!

Stories for young and old alike around the campfire.
 
 



Due to additional technical difficulties with computers (and thankfully I didn't do it), I am most sorry that I can not share the pictures of what we spied out in the ocean next.  While Robyn and I were sitting and talking, up she jumps and yells,"Dolphins!  Look, Dolphins!"  And there they were.  3 of them not too far off of the coast feeding and a whold group of them further out.  It is remarkable to see animals like that in the natural setting. 
All the girls enjoying the beach. 

I do not think there could have been a more pleasing sunset than that which was on display that evening.
So, we ate our hot dogs, s'mores, grapes and chips all up.  Jere took the children out to walk on the pier and a few of us stayed behind to warm at the fire. 

The next time I have a bonfire, I am sure I will fondly wish I was back at the beach with it!

Thank you for such a special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment