Monday, October 10, 2011

North to Alaska . . . . .Just kidding

One very little boy.  One very large tree.

I know that staying with family on vacations is frowned upon by many.  I would like to offer you my opinion on the matter now especially after staying with 3 different families.  Today in the society that we live in family is scattered everywhere.  You will never have an opportunity to connect with them unless you do something like that.  It has been so special and really made our trip even more personal and worth while.  To be able to reconnect or simply connect has given us all a greater appreciation for those in our family.

The other part of staying with anyone is not to outstay your welcome (hopefully).  In saying that and for other reasons, we had to leave the cheerful and gracious Vandewalle family.  It was so much fun and the children raced us down the street (they were on the sidewalk) as we departed.  Thank you so EVERYTHING!  We will meet again in the future and hopefully not too far off.
After heading west as far as I could go, I only had a three other options:  North, South and East.
Well, I have to tell you that I personally am not ready (at the time I made this decision) to come home.
Soooooo, we headed NORTH!

North through the lovely Los Angeles rush hour traffic and northeast actually away from the beach.  We can all pictures the hills around Los Angeles and the homes peeking out from all corners around them.

We continued on until we enter the Sierra Nevada mountain range with a very special goal in mind.
To see those amazing Sequoias and that we did.
Just one view of what you would see approaching the park.

Yippee!  We made it!

That sign is not a joke. But silly me, why would I even say that! 
These signs out here are not joking.
 If I happen upon a sign telling me the sky is falling, I am looking for cover! 

Upon entering the park, I was informed chains or snow tires would be required. 
I couldn't even compute such words especially after basking in the Arizona sun.
After driving up a really windy road, (that you could tell several parts had been washed out due to spring rain and landslides), we made it to these great beasts of trees.  I understand the need for lumber in the early 1900's but I am amazed first that anyone could physically cut these down and secondly that anyone would want to disturb them. 

They have been growing since before the Incarnation of Christ.  If you picture a 10 story building, at the rooftop is where the first branches begin.  They grow in a forest alongside the mighty Redwood trees (which are huge).  As you will see in these pictures, the sequoia  even make them look dwarfed in comparison.
Here is one of the first ones we encountered.


They just keep getting bigger and bigger.
You really have to put a person by it to gain the
perspective about its gigantic size.



As you can see, no snow and big trees.

This tree fell unexpectedly in 1957.  Boy, am I glad we weren't
around then!
Please note traveler on the right started this day in sandals
and the one to the left in shorts.  I love it when I suggest
something and the natural consequences take over.

Not normally a tree hugger, but, "Big tree, I love you so much!"
The only way to appreciate this picture would be a video.
We pulled under the tree to get a great picture with everyone
peeking out of the sunroof.  Sounded great except when the sunroof
was opened, a HUGE blop of snow came off of the tree and on
a couple people inside the car and all over the place in the car.

As we proceeded through, the snow intensified to a point where we even had to stop for a bit.  The roads did eventually accumulate about 3 inches of snow at the height of it all. I wouldn't have  wanted to see it any other way though.


Honey, the Junior Ranger motto is 'Leave it as you found it.'
I am sure we don't want to be hauling around this tree for
the rest of our vacation either. 


Meet General Sherman
1385 tons
36.5 feet in diameter
103 feet in circumference
6.8 feet - diameter of largest branch
about 2,200 years old

 
 In the end, we managed to get through without the needed chains and snow tires.  Thank goodness.  I had heard it was out of the way to get there but it had been high on my wish list.  I am so glad that we took the time to see them.  It was truly one of the highlights on the trip.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! So Hannah how did those converse sneekers work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe they worked only slightly better than the original choice: Sandals.

    As you can tell by the time we reached General Sherman everyone is bundled up and still freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, it is breathtakingly beautiful! Now I want to go back to Sequoia. It is so fun to see you all continue on your journey, although we would have loved to have you back here again. And amen to your comments on seeing family while on vacation. It is wonderful to connect with those with whom you share a history. We'll miss you awesome Clintons and hope for an opportunity to see you again soon! My kids are still talking about the fun we all had.

    ReplyDelete