Friday, October 14, 2011

St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church

While making our way to the bay at the end of Little Italy, I came across this amazing, towering church and had to enter it.
It's peaceful solitude was overwhelming.  The Italian immigrants that sacrificed to built it should be remembered by all in your prayers.

The architectural details were everywhere and the entrance made visitors know that this was/is a most regal place fit for the King.

The angel greeting me with holy water was taller than me yet gentle and exquisitely carved.


Upon entering, I went to the left and found a small alcove full
of the most beautiful statues and paintings I have ever seen.

Never before had I encountered St. Rocco.


A fabulous shrine to Our Lady


Only fitting for our queen.

Yet another, Italian saint

I am sorry the life-like painting on the statues did not transfer to these pictures.

Very hard to tell but behind these statues of St. Rita and Our Lord the walls is painted scenery enhancing the statues superbly.

The carved marble pulpit

So, happy to see one of my very favorite saints with his own side altar:  St. John Bosco

Sacred Heart altar

Even the side door by the altar coincided perfectly with a painting of the Sacred Heart as not to detract from the altar it was near.

The magnificent high altar

Even the lights were like none other I have seen before.
Illuminated, they show the perfect reverse paintings of cherubim and other holy images reminding of the faithful of lofty thoughts.

I couldn't resist a picture of St. Giuseppi for the special Italian family from home I know.


The ceiling was a study itself in the fortitude and forthought that went into this church.

Our Lady's side altar

As you would expect, the stations were equally impressive.

St. Anne's side altar

Another small alcove

Here was yet another amazing place of prayer not to be out done or forgotten.
I guess you couldn't tell that I loved this church.  If the only reason I came to San Francisco was to visit it, it was well worth the time.   There is no way to convey to you through pictures or language how fabulous it was.  Every detail in it was designed to help the faithful in their prayer and meditation while they are there.  Well, except the "few modernized" features which are not featured here as I felt they did the church no justice at all.  If you ever get to San Francisco, please take the time to go and pray there.  You will not be disappointed, I promise.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us.
St. Peter, pray for us.
St. Paul, pray for us.
St. John Bosco, pray for us.
St. Rocco, pray for us.
St. Guiseppe, pray for us.
All of the angels and saints, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment