Thursday, October 13, 2011

Touring Chico

With breakfast done, it is time for my cousin to return to his amazing journey as well.  I am so glad he took the time to spend an extra day or two with us.  Thank you.  Happy travels!
 (That's my aunt's great button collection in the front.  She even made an "I Spy" game to go with it.)

We were off in a mad dash to get the grand tour of Chico, CA.

First, we toured Bidwell Mansion.  She volunteers
there taking tours and graciously gave us one.
It is a beautiful Italianate Italian villa.
It was designed after the European ones.
It is unique as it has passive cooling through
the window design.  Built in 1865, it featured
indoor plumbing, gas lighting and water system.



Meet John Bidwell. 
In 1841, he was among the first emigrants to CA.
I can go on and on but "wikipedia" has a good article on him.
He was a self taught businessman and very influential in early
CA history.  His close friend was John Muir.    

 
Sweet antique baby rattle

Baskets made by the local indians and given to Mrs. Bidwell.
They are so detailed and perfectly woven.  The one on the right
has iridescent blue/green feathers woven into it.

This piano was a wedding present to Mrs. Bidwell.
It had to travel from New York down to So. America,
across land by mule, back on a steamer to San Fransisco,
and finally by mule again to the estate.
Amazing that it didn't even have a scratch.



As you can imagine, this exhibit got the most comments.
 
Tucked away in the back of the most AMAZING gift shop EVER, is the National YoYo Museum.
Yes, I know I didn't know there was such a thing either!

They had displays of original yoyo's from
every era, person and character.

They hold classes every Saturday morning.  The store and back
street was filled with children of all ages trying to master every level of trick imaginable.  If I would have tried any of them I am sure I would have ended up with a couple black eyes.

Yep!  That is the cost of those yoyo's!  They take this VERY, VERY seriously!

It is also home to the world's largest yoyo.  It comes out one a year during the international yoyo tournament (which we missed by a week or so in Chico).  It is hooked up to a crane and actually works!




Off to Chico Creek.  This section has a dam at one end. 
The mid-section is a GIGANTIC pool. 
This is part of a 3,500 acre park that the Bidwell's donated to the city.
 

At the end of the dam is the area made for the
returning salmon to get up river.
 


No visit is complete without "Chico mint" ice cream.  Yummy!

This is Chico creek/park where the original Robin Hood was filmed.
Errol Flynn was such a babied actor that he wanted the creek water warmed up for the creek scenes.

We then went further up Chico creek to play
in the water.



Rocks and water are always a grand combination.

About 13 years ago, my aunt moved from Costa Mesa to Chico.  I understood the reasons behind the move but couldn't imagine it being better than having the beach so close.  After my time in Chico, I could easily live there.  It is has everything.  I LOVED it. 

Back to the car!  After a tasty spagetti diner, we, too, had to go away from this wonderland. 
I was not sure if I would make it on my journey up to Chico to see my aunt's haven.  I am so pleased that we did.  She is very self-sufficient living in this beautiful country.  I figured if I was "in the neighborhood" I would pop in.  This has been one of most delightful of stops. 

Thank you, dear Aunt Gretchen for accomodating us in your special home.  We will call you earlier when we are coming and hopefully that return will be sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment