Friday, October 14, 2011

Chinatown


Those who know San Francisco might have thought I had forgotten or missed Chinatown.  Most certainly not.  It holds fond memories for me from when I was 5/6.  I celebrated my 6th birthday while visiting an aunt and uncle in San Francisco and went to Chinatown then.  I had to return as an adult.
Chinatown has the largest population of Chinese anywhere in the world outside of China.



The smells, sights, and sounds would make you think you were certainly in another country.


Love the cable car signs!

You might question my reasoning for taking my children down this darkened alley . .

But it is the way to the oldest fortune cookie factory.


I would have taken more pictures but it would cost me 50 cents a piece.  Tradition holds true.

After gesturing for a bit over the fact he had tried to overcharge me for cookies we purchased, we each in our own language came to the understanding of what the appropriate sum I owed was.  And really because at this point in time on the trip simple math was even difficult to comprehend, I believe I still over paid.  But there were no hard feelings, he felt bad and I felt bad so we both tried to make each other feel well and parted with smiles and waves.  He was truly sweet.  God bless you little fortune cookie man!

I was going to end the pictures of Chinatown with my little friend bidding us farewell but for all that have visited Chinatown know that this is really the appropriate one.  Their laundry is hanging out everywhere!  Undergarments and all!  This picture was shot on the corner of a major intersection.  Fabulous!

I LOVE CHINATOWN!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! How many fortune cookies do they produce every year? It seems that they have quite a production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really think I had the intelectual ability to think of such an intelligent question at that point in time or ever for that matter!?!?

    Even if I had asked such a question, my poor little friend NEVER could have understood alone answered it correctly.

    Miscommunication. I was trying it to avoid as much as I could.

    ReplyDelete