Thursday, October 6, 2011

I've got my toes in the water . . . . . . . . .

When in California . . . you go to THE BEACH!!!!

A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go . . .

Young explorers at the tide pools.



Sea life at it's best.


Look!  I found the cookie monster sea urchin!

There were several different species of crab.
This little guy posed just for you!
.

And another

The sea annenomes were so funny. 
If you put your finger in them they would close a
and there little suckers attach.  It was a little
scary the first time but they are harmless.

The tide pools were rich with so many interesting
creatures to see in their native habitats.

Yet another different crab.  I was glad all the crabs
were in the ocean and not my car this day!

I must admit, it was very cold this day especially after basking in
the 100 plus degrees in Arizona but that was NO deterrent for eager beach dwellers.


I think they were all coming out to pose for me.


Hey Pinkie Jr., I spy something pink!!!
I would never imagined I would spot such a brilliant pink annenome!


Of course, even overcast it is spectacular.

These little nooks were home to many and very difficult to
find as they blend in so well.

I think I am staying.

It wasn't too long after this that I was drenched
by a large wave such as this.  COLD, COLD, COLD




Interesting sea snail with such unusual colorings.

I don't think I want to eat it.


STARFISH SITING AT 11:00!!!!!!


Of course, the picture cannot show the size of this starfish but
it was every bit of 12" across and a spectacular sight!
We were so close to it but the waves really prevented us from
going out there to get a chance to hold it.  :(
The Vandewalle's took us to these tide pools on Tuesday morning.  The rain cooperated by stopping for a while so we could enjoy this amazing coastal region for a while.  Even as cold and wet as it was, it was so spectacular.  Of course the batteries in my camera died the moment I got there but even then Robyn was so gracious as to loan me hers.  It was great until I got hit with a wave with photographing the wildlife.  I feel like a National Geographic photographer now!  Hmm, a new career path.  Yippee! Sounds like another road trip.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures. People think CA is so warm..not always..and the water temp in that part of the Pacific is so cold.Once my boys went body surfing and they came out blue! Wouldn't deter them however. Where were these tidal pools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so incredibly jealous! Although the leaves are at peak season right now and it was a beautiful day, we would trade it in a heartbeat for a day at the beach with those lovely creatures.

    ReplyDelete